Sunday, April 09, 2006

we can fuck forever but you will never get my soul

Before I get into today's post I wanted to mention that the Archie Bronson Outfit post boasts the most downloaded tracks on this blog. Which means you must love them as much as I do! I promise to include frequent ABO updates.

Speaking of ABO...listening to them reminded me of an all-time favorite...The Gun Club. The Gun Club came out of the early '80's L.A. punk scene. The same "cowpunk" scene that spawned X and The Blasters and that was beginning to reveal hints of the No-Depression movement that would flower more than 10 years later. Their punk-blues has been described as "Howling Wolf backed by the Cramps" and has influenced bands like Pixies, The Whites Stripes, 16 Horsepower, Nick Cave and Queens of the Stone Age. Their first album Fire of Love is an absolute must-have...trust me! It includes a cover of Son House's "Preaching The Blues" that is brilliant! Front-man Jeffrey Lee Pierce was truly one-of-a-kind...R.I.P.

Download: Sex Beat
Download: For The Love Of Ivy

Excerpt from a great Fire Of Love review: What makes Fire Of Love such a brilliant listen long after its time is the fact that this blatant homage to the blues was amplified, energized and kicked into overdrive - yet not in the way that, say, The Yardbirds or Led Zeppelin did it, but in a new style that combined the ghostliness of the original model with a FAST, unwound and supremely energetic beat.

Read: A tribute to The Gun Club